Thursday, 13 February 2014

Work Ethics

Dengan Nama Allah, The Most Merciful, The Righteous Teacher, The All-Compassionate.

I never thought I would enjoy or love doing what I'm doing, or being where I am now.

I've said this before, and as much as I'm afraid of jinxing it, I'll say it again. The work ethic here is fantastic. Research here is 10 times faster than in Malaysia. And I love, my lab. My floor at least.
There were times I didn't feel like I quite fit in. But if I compared this to the lab back home, I mean, I'm staying in my own country where we speak the same language. By right we should be able to mix around and help each other.

It's not that I'm complaining or trying to prove anything here. But back home, the ice box is not meant to be shared. Between different groups.  When I faced this situation back then I was like, Oh. Okay.

But here, my supervisor took out an icebox for me, filled it with ice and watched me do PCR  just to make sure I did it right. And today, he called me a good scientist, despite all the hurdles I'm having, inconsistent digestions and having wasting buckets of plates for colony transformation.

I had learnt, more things within these 2 months here than I had learnt for 2 of my final years back in Malaysia. And subhanallah the people are so encouraging. I mean, Anne, Sile, Hannah, Heather, Khuram, Shira. I don't know.. basically the whole lab sort of, wants  to help if if they know you're in need of something. The Spaniards were really helpful, lending their gel machines, combs or any machine (when you think of it) you name it! And they're in a different group!

Everyone smiles at you, the technicians say good morning, asked about your weekend, and when it snows, they'll all encourage you to go out and play in the snow because they know you're Asian and never had snow before. I don't want to be too gullible, blindly thinking everyone is nice and has rainbows in their heads and hearts. But so far, alhamdulillah. Everyone is friendly here. The whole floor is about 6 blocks wide, and just about everyone knows everyone in it.

I really don't want to compare this to the scene back in Malaysia but people here, are just really into their stuff, genuinely interested in what their doing, passionate and open minded. I mean, if you have a problem and you just go to anyone with a good nature, ask for their opinion, they'll just try to help. Even if they're from a different group. And if they can't they'll just say sorry and suggest someone who can.

Oh and did I mention, they open doors for you, cook stuff like desserts and briyani for you every now and then? Its awesome. Its Islam to me. Pure and straightforward. They're not muslims. But what I can say, when I hear that Islam is evident, more apparent in the overseas, can be true. 

Science has bad and good days. People cheer for you on the good ones, and give you support on the bad ones. And my English is a bit weird here but they just laugh at me and say its okay.

I wish Malaysia could have a good work atmosphere just like what I'm having now. I mean, we're lean mean working machines, straight from 9-5. At least from 9-5. But I see people coming on weekends and earlier in the morning. Sometimes at 7. Sile has amazing results and she comes in at 7, leaves at 6 pm, comes in weekends, and she's the best. I think almost everyone loves her because she's just friendly and helpful. It's kind of apparent here that, the most hardworking person, is the most celebrated one in the lab. 

Work. I never thought I would be immersed by it. My prayers has even shifted a bit. I mean like, I pray I make good work in the end. Meet good people in the end. Have a good ending.

To Dr Wan Amir, thank you for recommending me Glasgow as a study place. My supervisor asked me, "How do you find Glasgow?"
"I find it alright. I like it better than London and other parts of England. The people here are nice and friendly"
and he said, "Yeah. That's why I stayed too."

Moga-moga kita ditempatkan bersama-sama orang yang baik-baik di dunia dan di akhirat. Insya Allah

3 comments:

  1. Lucky and envyy ! I am a final year student now and sorta can relate to this hheheheh , i missyou kak yanaaaaaaa muahx :*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adeh, kuar jugak my name :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. However I am glad that you enjoy your time in Glasgow (except the weather :P). The culture of sharing work space, sharing space, sharing knowledge and give a helping hand are among thing that I missed. Adopt it, and when you come back do put all this things to your students or workmate. All the best Yana! :D

    ReplyDelete